Charges Upgraded After Death of National Guard Specialist in D.C. Shooting
Federal prosecutors have officially upgraded charges against 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national accused of gunning down two National Guard troops near the White House earlier this week. One of the victims, Specialist Sarah Beckstrom of the West Virginia National Guard, died from her injuries, prompting the charge of first-degree murder.
U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro announced the escalation during an appearance on Fox & Friends, calling the act a “premeditated ambush” against unsuspecting service members.
“This was an ambush with a gun toward people who didn’t know what was coming,” Pirro said. “It is a premeditated murder.”
Lakanwal allegedly opened fire on Beckstrom and U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe as they patrolled a block from the White House. Wolfe remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Trump Mourns Beckstrom, Blasts Biden Migration Policy
President Donald Trump confirmed Beckstrom’s death Thursday night, calling her an “incredible person” and a “hero who gave everything.”
“She’s no longer with us,” Trump said. “She was savagely attacked, she’s dead, not with us. Just horrible.”
Trump used the moment to renew his call for a total halt to migration from Third World nations. He placed direct blame on the Biden administration, noting that Lakanwal entered the country in 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome — a program launched in the aftermath of the chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal.
Operation Allies Welcome Under Scrutiny
Operation Allies Welcome brought in roughly 77,000 Afghan nationals. Trump and other administration officials say the vetting process was severely flawed.
“This individual never should have been in the United States, never should have had the opportunity to ambush and shoot down a young woman serving her country,” Pirro emphasized.
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem previously confirmed that Lakanwal was paroled into the U.S. under the Biden program and had overstayed his legal status.
Next Steps in the Case
Pirro confirmed the investigation is still ongoing, including a full review of Lakanwal’s background, vetting history, and travel across the U.S.
“We are working around the clock to uncover the full extent of what happened here — how he got here, who he was in contact with, and whether anyone else played a role,” she said.
While Wolfe remains in critical condition, Pirro said there is hope he will survive. “We’re all praying for Andrew Wolfe,” she added.
The Biden administration has not yet commented on the upgraded charges.
