Trump’s Board Of Peace To Announce $5B In Funding For Gaza Reconstruction At Inaugural Meeting
President Donald Trump said Sunday that members of his newly created Board of Peace have pledged $5 billion toward rebuilding Gaza and will commit thousands of personnel to an international stabilization and policing force for the territory.
Trump said the pledges will be formally unveiled when board members gather in Washington on Thursday for their first official meeting. “The Board of Peace will prove to be the most consequential International Body in History, and it is my honor to serve as its Chairman,” Trump wrote in a social media post announcing the commitments.
The president did not specify which nations are providing the reconstruction funding or contributing personnel. However, Indonesia’s military said Sunday that up to 8,000 troops could be ready by the end of June for potential deployment to Gaza as part of a humanitarian and peace mission, marking the first firm public commitment of forces tied to the initiative.
Reconstruction of Gaza is expected to be a massive undertaking. Estimates from the United Nations, World Bank, and European Union place the cost at roughly $70 billion after more than two years of intense Israeli bombardment left much of the territory damaged or destroyed.
The October 10 U.S.-brokered ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas calls for the creation of an armed international stabilization force tasked with maintaining security and overseeing the disarmament of Hamas, a key demand of Israel. While large-scale fighting has eased, Israeli forces have continued targeted airstrikes and have fired near military-controlled zones.
It remains unclear how many of the more than 20 reported members of the Board of Peace will attend Thursday’s meeting. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who met with Trump at the White House last week, is not expected to participate in the inaugural session.
Initially viewed as a vehicle to help end the Israel-Hamas war, the Board of Peace now appears to reflect Trump’s broader ambition to address global conflicts and reshape international diplomacy. The initiative is seen by some as an effort to sidestep the United Nations and recalibrate the post-World War II international framework.
Trump also confirmed that the meeting will take place at the U.S. Institute of Peace, which the State Department announced in December would be renamed the Donald J. Trump U.S. Institute of Peace. The building is currently the subject of litigation brought by former employees and executives after the administration seized the facility last year and dismissed most of its staff.
