Eric SwalwellFBIPolitics

Eric Swalwell Accuser ‘Caught Off Guard’ by FBI Raid as Federal Investigation Escalates

An attorney representing one of former Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell’s accusers says he was surprised by the FBI’s dramatic escalation of its investigation, revealing that federal authorities have not yet contacted his client despite seizing Swalwell’s electronic devices and searching his Washington home.

Arick Fudali, an attorney for Swalwell accuser Lonna Drewes, said neither the FBI nor other federal law enforcement officials had reached out to Drewes before agents confronted Swalwell at San Francisco International Airport. Drewes has publicly accused Swalwell of drugging and sexually assaulting her in 2018, allegations he denies.

Fudali said the lack of contact struck him as unusual because Drewes has been among the most public of the women accusing the former California congressman of misconduct. She previously held a press conference detailing serious allegations against Swalwell and has said she is prepared to testify under oath.

Federal agents approached Swalwell after he arrived at San Francisco International Airport Saturday and executed a search warrant, seizing electronic devices. Investigators then searched his Washington, DC, residence Sunday as part of the expanding federal criminal investigation.

A federal court filing indicates investigators seized an iPhone and MacBook Pro from Swalwell. Multiple reports say the searches are connected to allegations of sexual misconduct against the former congressman, although authorities have not announced criminal charges and Swalwell has denied allegations of sexual assault.

Fudali said he would have expected federal investigators to speak with Drewes before reaching the point of obtaining warrants for Swalwell’s devices and residence. He said there has instead been “radio silence” from federal law enforcement despite the seriousness and public nature of her allegations.

Drewes has, however, been communicating with local authorities. Her attorney said she filed a report with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office and supplied investigators with evidence and names of potential witnesses. Fudali acknowledged that local investigators could potentially be sharing information with federal authorities.

Swalwell resigned from Congress and abandoned his campaign for California governor in April after multiple women accused him of misconduct. The allegations have ranged from sexual assault to sending unsolicited explicit messages and images. Swalwell acknowledged making “mistakes in judgment” but has maintained that the sexual-assault accusations against him are false.

His resignation also brought a House Ethics Committee investigation to an end because the panel no longer had jurisdiction over him. The allegations did not disappear with his departure from Congress, however, as local and federal law enforcement investigations continued.

Drewes’ attorney said his client has mixed feelings about the latest developments. She is encouraged that investigators appear to be taking the allegations seriously but remains confused about why she has not been interviewed by federal authorities despite publicly putting her name and reputation behind her accusations.

Fudali said Drewes is prepared to cooperate and testify under oath if investigators contact her. He also indicated that his firm has already provided what it believes is corroborating evidence to law enforcement, though he declined to publicly disclose its contents.

The seizure of Swalwell’s devices and search of his home suggest the investigation has entered a substantially more aggressive phase. Fudali said he expects developments could now begin moving quickly, even as major questions remain about exactly what evidence federal investigators are pursuing and whether the probe will ultimately result in criminal charges.

Ad Blocker Detected!

Refresh