Eric Swalwell Burns Through Campaign Cash On Luxury Driver, Lawyers Amid Scandal Fallout
Disgraced former congressman Eric Swalwell is continuing to spend campaign cash at a staggering pace after allegations of rape and sexual assault derailed his political career and torpedoed his California gubernatorial ambitions.
New campaign finance filings reveal Swalwell spent nearly $39,000 in just under a month on a luxury transportation and security operator while also shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal defense teams as multiple investigations continue into his alleged misconduct.
The filings show Swalwell paid at least $38,807 between April 19 and May 16 to Darly Meyer, a North Hollywood-based transportation and executive protection specialist affiliated with CYD Global Car Service, a company that advertises black car transportation and security services for high-profile clients.
According to reports, Meyer has worked with Swalwell for years as both a driver and security figure during the former congressman’s trips throughout Southern California. Swalwell has previously claimed he received death threats tied to his public criticism of President Donald Trump.
Federal filings dating back to 2021 reportedly show Swalwell’s various campaign committees and PACs paid Meyer more than $360,000 over time through categories including “security services,” “salary,” “car service,” “travel expenses,” and reimbursements for flowers and postage.
Attempts to contact Meyer reportedly ended abruptly when a man answering the phone denied being him before hanging up. Meyer’s wife later told reporters she knew little about his professional relationship with Swalwell.
Swalwell himself has remained largely absent from public view since the scandal exploded earlier this year.
At the same time, the former congressman’s legal spending has surged dramatically.
Campaign filings show Swalwell paid more than $273,000 to the Law Office of Sara Azari, the attorney who publicly defended him during television appearances following the allegations.
Another $50,000 reportedly went to the San Francisco law firm Coblentz Patch Duffy & Bass LLP during the same reporting period.
Before the allegations surfaced, Swalwell had been viewed as one of the leading Democratic contenders in California’s governor race and had amassed more than $5.6 million in campaign funds.
Political strategist Matthew Klink blasted the spending spree, arguing that Swalwell was using campaign cash to preserve the lavish lifestyle he enjoyed while in office.
“The truly tragic part about this is that he raised this money and feels entitled to use this money,” Klink said. “It’s really the only way he’s able to cling to the lifestyle he had as a congressman and a candidate.”
Despite refunding roughly $176,000 in donations, Swalwell still reportedly retains approximately $2.6 million in campaign funds.
Some Democratic allies appear eager to distance themselves. The California Democratic Party reportedly returned a $13,000 contribution from Swalwell earlier this month.
Critics say Swalwell has long used campaign funds for lavish personal-style expenses, including hotels, dinners, travel, and alcohol deliveries.
Democratic strategist Elizabeth Ashford sharply criticized the spending habits.
“This is somebody who makes terrible personal decisions, and this is more of the same,” Ashford said. “He’s going to piss a lot of people off, but at this point, maybe he understands that these bridges are already burned.”
