Donald TrumpIranMarco RubioPoliticsWorld News

Marco Rubio Signals Possible Iran Breakthrough As President Trump Clears Schedule

Secretary of State Marco Rubio strongly hinted Friday that the Trump administration may be nearing a major development in negotiations with Iran as tensions surrounding Tehran’s nuclear program continue escalating behind the scenes.

“This problem will be solved, as the president’s made clear, one way or the other,” Rubio warned while speaking to reporters during a diplomatic visit to India.

Rubio repeatedly suggested that active negotiations are currently underway and indicated the White House could announce a major breakthrough within days.

“There may be news later today,” Rubio said. “There may not be. I hope there will be. I’m not sure yet.”

The secretary added that “some progress” had already been made as talks continue through diplomatic channels.

“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said.

The comments come as President Donald Trump appears to be quietly reshuffling his schedule amid growing concerns surrounding Iran and the broader Middle East situation.

President Trump announced Friday that he would remain in Washington over Memorial Day weekend instead of traveling to the Bahamas for a family wedding celebration involving Donald Trump Jr..

Trump previously told reporters that “a thing called Iran” was preventing him from fully committing to attending the event.

The administration has continued increasing pressure on Iran following Operation Epic Fury, the joint U.S.-Israeli campaign targeting Iranian military and nuclear-linked infrastructure earlier this year.

Since then, negotiations have focused heavily on two major administration demands: the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and Iran surrendering its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.

Rubio emphasized Friday that Iran must never be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons capability.

“They need to turn over highly enriched uranium. We need to address that issue. We need to address the issue of enrichment,” Rubio said.

At the same time, Rubio stressed that President Trump still prefers a diplomatic resolution over military escalation.

“His preference is always to solve problems such as these through a negotiated diplomatic solution,” Rubio explained.

Still, the secretary reiterated that the administration believes the issue will ultimately be resolved regardless of Tehran’s cooperation.

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the central pressure points in the standoff. Roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply passes through the narrow shipping route, making any disruption a major threat to global energy markets and international trade.

Iranian officials have recently signaled tentative openness toward negotiations and reportedly confirmed work on a possible memorandum of understanding with the United States through talks mediated by Pakistan.

However, Tehran has simultaneously insisted the United States has “nothing to do” with how the Strait of Hormuz is managed, underscoring how fragile negotiations remain.

Rubio previously warned during a NATO meeting earlier this month that if diplomacy fails, outside intervention may eventually become unavoidable.

“Then someone’s going to have to go in and do something about it,” Rubio said at the time.

Ad Blocker Detected!

Refresh