Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘Open and Operating’ After US Removes Iranian Mines
President Donald Trump announced Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has been fully de-mined and reopened to shipping, declaring a major breakthrough in the months-long confrontation with Iran as the administration’s 60-day negotiating window with Tehran officially came to an end.
“The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” Trump announced on Truth Social.
Iran had spent months laying naval mines and carrying out sporadic attacks intended to discourage commercial vessels from traveling through the strategically critical waterway. The Strait of Hormuz historically handles nearly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil shipments, making its security crucial to global energy markets.
Trump also confirmed that negotiations with Iran have effectively ended. The president said there are currently no discussions underway and no additional negotiations scheduled with the Islamic Republic.
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said.
The administration had given Tehran a 60-day window to reach a broader agreement following a preliminary memorandum of understanding reached in June. Trump confirmed Monday that the United States would not extend that deadline after Iran refused to accept the kind of agreement the president considered necessary.
Despite reopening the waterway, Trump made clear that the American military pressure campaign against Tehran is not ending. The US naval blockade of Iran remains fully operational, allowing Washington to continue restricting Tehran economically while protecting international shipping through the region.
The announcement represents a significant shift from conditions only weeks earlier, when Iranian mines, attacks and threats had sharply disrupted commercial traffic. The US Navy has maintained an enormous presence in the region as the Trump administration works to break Iran’s ability to use the strait as leverage against the United States and its allies.
Trump has repeatedly argued that American military power has given the United States effective control of the Strait of Hormuz. Last week, he described the Navy blockade as a “Wall of Steel” and suggested Washington could maintain control of the strategic passage even after the broader conflict with Iran ends.
The president has gone even further in recent days, floating the possibility of eventually declaring the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States. Trump argues that America has shouldered much of the military burden required to secure the waterway while other countries benefit from the flow of energy through it.
The reopening also comes after Trump issued a forceful warning to Oman not to interfere with American operations. Oman had been working with Tehran on a separate arrangement involving control and safe passage through the strait, an effort Trump strongly opposed.
With the negotiating window now closed, the administration is increasingly shifting its attention toward economic pressure. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has promised additional measures designed to further isolate Iran financially and increase pressure on its already battered economy.
For Trump, the removal of the mines represents an important milestone in the campaign. The Strait of Hormuz is once again open for shipping, the US Navy remains firmly positioned in the region, and Washington is maintaining its blockade even as diplomatic negotiations with Tehran come to a halt.
